Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Wednesday

I have decided to add a new weekly feature, I'm calling "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". This feature will be a review of or an introduction to fellow bloggers. Don't let the title fool you, my purpose is not to bash other bloggers, so think of "bad" as the slang I grew up with (am I telling my age?)... bad means cool. And by current slang I should say "the sick" but hey, I am a movie buff, so ugly means awesome. I will try to pick three blogs that have a similar theme each week. Please leave me comments and let me know what you think of this feature and any suggestion of blog types you'd like to know more about.

For this first post I was intrigued by a blurb I saw on MSN about a thirteen year old fashionista whose blog has a huge following so I had to check out some of the teenage fashion bloggers.

The Good.... Meet Tavi Gevinson, the pint sized fashionista from Chicago. Her blog, Style Rookie, has taken the fashion world by force and she has become their new darling. She has caught the eyes of the designing sisters, Mulleavy, who are behind Rodarte and has graced the cover of British fashion magazines, Pop and Love. Her blog is full of interesting if odd fashion choices and her thirteen year old voice is charming. Is she a true fashinista? Well, considering most fashionistas have a sense of style that few who live in the real world would be seen in public wearing, then yes, she is well on her way to fitting in with the high society types. Her blog is cute, although for 99% of us, I wouldn't follow her fashion advice. What looks adorable on a thirteen year old does not translate well to those of us out of school. Her blog is definitely worth a look, as it is a fun and charming look at the world through the eyes of a young girl.

The Bad.... Meet Arabelle, the sixteen year old who describes herself as "offensive and funny." Her blog Fashion Pirates, definitely shows she has diverse interest and influence, including her godmothers, "a nun and a former "madam" in New York." She also loves anything Asian and follows Tavi's blog. Her blog is a little more sophisticated than Tavi's and her post have a more wearable sense of style, for the most part. Reading her blog is like watching one of those high school shows, The OC, One Tree Hill, etc., only with more personality. Her post are fun and flirty. If you know a girl of that age, they would definitely be in to her blog, and it might give those of us who left high school a very long time ago a glimpse into what goes through the minds of the young girls of today.

The Ugly.... Meet Jane. Jane is a sixteen year old blogger from Texas. Out of all the young fashion bloggers I researched before picking the three for this post, hers is the only one I follow. Her blog, Sea of Shoes, is like a breath of fresh air. Her blog is probably 80% pictures and they are stunning. She is enigmatic and beautiful. Out of all the bloggers, she has an incredible sense of style, which apparently she inherited from her mother, whom she features as a model in her post frequently. Both generations of women photograph fabulously. Jane also peppers beautiful non-fashion photos throughout. I think it is her love of vintage and the classy way she displays that love that captured me. She is a classic muse and should have a stunning future in the fashion world, if all self-proclaimed avant-garde fashionistas will stop taking over and presenting us with dreadful clothing looks. Definitely check out her blog, if you even remotely like fashion or great photography you'll be hooked.

4 comments:

  1. Cool idea! Great job in promoting other book blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, scratch the book part. *taps forehead*. LOL. Still, it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea - very creative, Chris! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked out Sea of Shoes, and you were spot on! Absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete