Thursday, September 3, 2009

Children's Book Review - Wally The Walking Fish Meets Madison and Cooper/WalkingFish Books Fishing Journal by Gary Lamit

I don't normally review children's books, but when I heard about these, it reminded me of my childhood. That and I have lots of fish lovers in my family and nieces and nephews.

Wally the Walking Fish Meets Madison and Cooper is a charming children's book about a young girl, Madison and her big yellow Lab, Cooper. Madison and Cooper are fishing at a local pond when they meet Wally, a friendly catfish. They form an unlikely friendship and have an adventure. Parents and children will love this whimsical tale that promotes the value of friendship. Children will love the beautiful drawings and the talking animals and fish. Cooper, reminded me of my own dogs, who also always seem to be hungry, even right after they eat. It's probably a good they can't talk.



One of the things, I thought was great about this book were the animal facts that popped up throughout the story. Lamit gives a child, not only a cute story but educates as well. A very nice touch. This book is great for children up to age seven or eight.

I have to be honest, I haven't fished since I was a little girl and although I loved hanging out with my brother and dad, I never really liked the fishing part. Maybe I was too girlie, but I had no desire to touch the slimy fish and they usually died before we got them off the hook and thrown back in. That always made me sad. For anyone who does enjoy fishing, the Fishing Journal I received with Wally the Walking Fish is great. It is packed with information. It is great for the younger fishing enthusiast because, it describes and has illustrations of fishing equipment, lures, flies, types of fish, etc. It also lets them record there day of fishing... where they went, with whom, weather conditions, tides, what they used, what they caught, etc. It also has sections for them to draw, add photos or write a journal entry. It's a useful tool for all ages. This version may not hold a child under seven's interest, so I would get My Fishing Journal as a companion for the Wally book. It's geared toward the younger child. Who knew that were so many types of Salmon, Trout, etc. A great book that encourages learning and interaction. With the holidays just around the corner, these books would make great gifts for any child on your list.

*This book was provided by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment