Thursday, February 4, 2010

Serious Doubts, Why people marry when they know it won't last by Carl Weisman

Carl Weisman has spent years surveying people to compile his book, Serious Doubts. Serious Doubts gives the reader some stories for examples along with questionnaires, a type of workbook to get the reader thinking. I found the information interesting, as a divorced woman who didn’t get married because I wanted to, but because I wanted to make my ex-husband happy. Unfortunately getting married changed everything and not for the better. Of course, since the divorce we get along fine. Neither of us knew at the time it wouldn’t last, we had been together for years.


Serious Doubts is a good pre-marriage book, because the questions have you ask some of the things you should consider before you get married. But I have to say I have serious doubts that those planning marriage are going to pick up this book and those married that are having doubts have already past the stage that this will help. This is a great book for pre-marriage counselors to have and share with couples. Weisman is not a therapist or counselor, so I have to commend him for the time he put into the research and for putting this book out there. I wish him luck with his sales and maybe if enough people hear about it, this book will make it into the hands of those it can help. Four out of five stars.

This book was provided by the author.

4 comments:

  1. You're right - the people who'd need this the most won't pick it up and certainly wouldn't think it applied to them! We all know these people - so enveloped in infatuation that they don't hear the warning sirens screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I agree with you wholeheartedly. A wonderful concept for a book; will it be read by those who should read it is the question.

    It was great to interject the possibility of this being used by pre-marriage counselors. Many people do or have to seek counseling prior to marriage. Getting this book into the hands of those types of individuals would be an excellent asset to their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I knew my wife for a number of years beofre marrying. We had tests and trials before the "I do's so we were better prepapred to deal with adversity together. Thanks for the review.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  4. People marry to live with a companion and for sex, some marry to show their love and affection on their partners

    ReplyDelete