Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy Wednesday with Wilmington's Hot Pink Cake Stand

Well, after weeks of reading and reviewing books on health and life, I decided my readers needed a little sunshine and decadence today.
I live in the small coastal city, Wilmington, NC. While I wouldn’t encourage anyone to move here, especially in this economy, it is a fabulous place to visit. I’m one of the lucky ones in this town. I have a great job in the historic downtown. While we are being plagued with the construction eye sore and noise of the historic society’s beautification project, we also have a beautiful riverfront and many unique stores. I spend my lunch hours walking around and getting to know the local merchants. I have decided the world needs to see what our downtown has to offer, so each week I will be bringing you peak into a new fabulous find.





This week, being my birthday week, I decided to start with The Hot Pink Cake Stand on Front Street. Those of you who now me, know the pink is my least favorite color; however, every day as I walk past this wonderful newly opened temptation, I must admit I am growing fonder of the color. It’s like a bright smile on my way to the post office.

The Hot Pink Cake Stand is owned and operated by Jody Carmichael, a former interior designer. She has taken her background in art & love of design and turned it into a confectioner’s dream. When you walk into the shop you immediately become enveloped in warmth. Unlike many bakeries, this is one that invites you to sit and stay awhile. When you first walk in there is a small section of tables topped with flowers, perfect for catching up with a best friend over tea or coffee and a mouth watering cupcake. Or better yet one of Jody’s cake pops.

The chocolate covered cherry cake one is to die for!! It taste just like a chocolate covered cherry! YUM!!

Just past the table section is a long bar with stools that reminds me of a cross between an old-fashioned soda shop and a good friends kitchen. You know, the place where everyone loves to hang out and chat while watching the cook create and absorbing the wonderful aromas of things baking. That is exactly what sitting at the bar of the cake stand is like, because Jody and her staff are so friendly and chat with you while they work. Yes, there is the requisite shelves with product, but unlike so many bakeries that can feel cold and impersonal, at The Hot Pink Cake Stand, they make you feel like one of the family. If the delectable confections don’t keep you coming back the feeling of camaraderie will.




So the next time you find yourself in our lovely town, make a point to stop by 114 North Front Street, say hi to Jody and the girls, and try one of her baked fresh daily delights!







Be sure to check out her site and Facebook page as well. The pictures will make your mouth water. Here's one of my favorites:


5 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! I'm usually not hungry this early in the morning but those cake pops did me in!

    On a personal note: I hope you've been having a wonderful birthday week. Happy Birthday TODAY my dear and special friend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable shop. It would be the perfect place to visit to catch up with a friend. And the elephant cake is so neat. I love your new Wednesday idea.

    Hope you have a great birthday week and that your birthday brings you all you wish for. February girls rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coastal towns have some of the coolest little shops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal & Mason- Thanks for the wishes.

    Alex- wait until you see the other stores I have to show you.

    Diane- you are on and guess what? they have vegan cupcakes too.

    ReplyDelete