Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine for Women’s Health by Kathleen Albertson

When I read about this book, I knew instantly I had to have it. I didn’t know much about acupuncture but I have always been curious. However, having a fear of needles, those little pins always creeped me out a bit and I’ve been afraid to try it. Fear of the unknown can close ones mind to many things. Here in the western world we often blindly trust physicians, drugs, western treatments because we have an ailment and we fear not finding a cure, a quick fix. We are taught that only board certified and licensed doctors have the answers and that alternative medicines are just old wives tales or scams by charlatans. Ironically, many alternative medicines have held the answers for centuries. Having had my fill of western medicine that has often left me worse off, I am always interested in alternatives. The thing western medicine often fails to do is listen to the patient and find the root of the problem. To find a cure you must treat the root not just mask the symptoms. This is just one of the things Kathleen Albertson covers in Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine for Women’s Health.


Albertson has taken some of the mystique and skepticism out of acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. She dispels the myths and gives you the facts in a concise, easy to understand way. Her diagrams, illustrations, glossary and explanations are excellent. She answers the questions that you want to ask and because she focuses on women’s health, as a woman you feel as if she is writing this for you. If you know nothing about acupuncture and Chinese medicine, this is a great place to start. If you already know about Eastern medicine but want some clarification, this is also a great resource. Five out of five stars.

This book was provided by the author.

4 comments:

  1. What a great book. Hopefully this will encourage more people to be open to alternative forms of medicine. I like to avoid *chemicals* and don't like the way physicians *push* medications on us as a cure-all. Some, of course, are necessary; however, there are certain herbal supplements that I swear by; and as for acupuncunture, I've had wonderful success with it.

    For anyone unfamiliar with the acupuncture of today, the needles are so very thin – not much more than the thickness of a stand of hair.

    I get acupuncture treatments for my sinuses. It's saved my breathing (!) and I've avoided surgery as a result. The needles being so thin, and because of their placement on my cheeks and forehead, I refer to them as whiskers! >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fear of needles so I've never thought of getting acupuncture treatments. I do believe in herbal medicine. Sounds like I need to read this book and open my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing a talk show where the guest talked about all these wonderful natural cures in the world and Americans will never see them because they can't be certified by the FDA...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been apprehensive of acupuncture but after reading this book, and based on what you say about your sinuses, Crystal, I'm going to give it a shot.

    I'll be interviewing Kathleen in March. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask her, let me know.

    ReplyDelete