Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday is for Romance.... sort of...

As I catch up with my reviews of books sent to me, today I’m going to share some love with twists….


Forget Me Not by Vicki Hinze
What would happen if you lived your life on the run, something unexpected happens and you no longer remember you are supposed to be hiding? That is the dilemma faced by Kelly in Forget Me Not. Part murder, part drama, part action, part romance and part spirituality, Hinze has brought all the elements together in a spellbinding tale that will have you asking yourself, “how strong is my faith?” Forget Me Knot starts out a little confusing, leaving many unanswered questions. One being, “should I keep reading?” Hang in there, because the dots do start converging and you will be hooked, flying through the pages until all the questions arre answered. Despite the rough start, Hinze has woven a superb tale of suspense. Four out of five stars. This book was provided by Waterbrook Mulnomah Publishing.


Lucifer’s Last Lover by Dana Warryck
Ok, first of all you have to love the title; it screams classic bodice ripper. In a way it is a classic romance told in a new way with the last character you think of as romantic.

What if Satan walked among us and was nothing like what we have been taught to believe? What if everything we know about good and evil is wrong? Those are the premises behind Warryck’s book. After thousands of years being reviled and having casual dalliances, Lucas Santani (aka Lucifer) has finally met a woman that makes him feel human, but there are forces working against them. This book is a fun romp, but I think I enjoyed the “what if” religious connotations more than the romance. An interesting read, however if you are super religious this is one you should pass on as it will probably offend those who follow popular religious doctrine. Personally, I found it intriguing and a fresh look at an age old subject, even if a little over dramatic. 3.5 out of five stars. This book was provided by Penumbra Publishing.


Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward
Ward has given us another delectable view into the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I have to admit Ward is one of my go to authors. I read a lot of books, different types of books. However, when I want a book I know is going to be packed with action, scintillating interpersonal connections, a touch of romance and a dash of the paranormal, there is less than a handful of authors that I grab. Because let’s face it, sometimes we just want a guaranteed great read. Ward never disappoints me. I love the Brotherhood series. The characters continue to evolve, the action propels you through the story and the books are long. Really long, yet I always end up finishing them the same day I start them. It takes a good author to make nearly 650 pages feel like 100; where on the last page you are saying, “What? That’s it? But I want more!”

Lover Avenged tells the story of Rehvenge. He may be a vampire but he’s also half sympath and is forced to keep that part of his identity secret. It is hard to live a life where you must hide who you are. For Ehlena, who has given up her life to take care of her ailing father, she hates everything Rehv stands for but finds herself drawn to him. Will they be able to overcome the obstacles standing in their way? If you are familiar with Ward’s style, you know the answer won’t be simple. Five out of five stars. Purchased

6 comments:

  1. All three of these sound great. Not sure which one I'd start with. Thanks for letting me know about them. They are all going on my list.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep giving me more and more to put on my bookshelf! Thanks for these reviews, CC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reviews. With so much out there, its nice to have a peek into what the books are about. I think I'll give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last one might be cool. Not a romance kinda guy otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mason, B & Raquel- Thanks for stopping by. It was nice reading something a little lighter & fun for a change.

    Alex- Ward is classified as romance but really to me her work is more about the paranormal & the action. The first one is also classified as a romance but it's more mystery and christian fiction.My boss is reading that one & he's not in to romances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound like such fun! I enjoy books that criss-cross genres like this :)

    ReplyDelete