Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Around Town... Local Sculpture


Today's post will be short and... well considering the subject of the picture, maybe not so sweet, or sweet in a twisted way. I was going to do a post on the Historic Airlie Gardens in town, but was told by the people there I was not allowed to share photos of their grounds unless I want to pay $200 per picture. Ironically, you can find thousands of pictures posted online if you would like to see what it does look like. It is a shame because it is a beautiful park opened to the public but well, now owned by the city. Ah, politics and bureaucracy, the only institutions, who feel entitled to charge what mother nature provides for free.  

So instead I will share a photo of this sculpture that stands outside our downtown post office. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is amazing in person and when the sunlight hits the glass the makes up the 'jaws of death', it almost appears to come to life. Unfortunately, the artist is not listed but this particular one is titled "Southern Hospitality".

To see more of our pedestrian art, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Southern hospitality represented by a Venus Fly Trap? Now that's unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love it! Talk about unique. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing is a good word for the sculpture. Very nice. it's a shame the artist isn't listed.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Curious about your Airlie Gardens, I Googled it. Silly that they would want to charge you...they have posted pics of their own!Do they charge visitors to take pictures?! Anyway the gardens are beautiful. For those of you who would like to see some pics, here is the link: http://www.airliegardens.org/photo_gallery.asp?albumid=5&page=
    I like the spring garden, summer view! Thanks CC for expanding our horizons, (I like the Venus fly trap statue too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Southern Hospitality is a carnivore...a plant that lures its prey with an appealing pink, juicy mouth then clamps its jaws and devours its "guest".

    I think I'm in love with this anonymous artist! What a cynical sense of humor, not to mention fantastic art skills.

    This is beautiful, funny, scary, and memorable. I'm glad it is a part of our downtown cityscape.

    Thank you for featuring it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone.

    Mason- I'm still trying to find out about the artist. I'll post an update if I locate the name.

    Tami- thanks for the link. They charge a small fee to walk thorugh the gardens but they don't charge to take pictures, they just said they would come after me if I posted them, which I thought was ridiculous. Their site does have great pictures, But I got some amazing ones you can't see on the site. oh well.

    Paula- Thanks for being my walking buddy downtown & at Airlie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting choice for a sculpture, a carniverous plant...very beautiful, though!

    ReplyDelete