Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Around Town... Down Island Traders


Where else can you walk into what appears to be a normal gift store on the outside and be transported into Poseidon’s treasure cove?

Down Island Traders is a lovely import shop where you could spend hours and still not see everything. It truly feels like discovering a pirate’s secret treasure cave.  It is sensory overload at its best. Nearly every inch is covered with something unique and wonderful, from the statues on the floors, to the dragon kites and ships hanging from the ceiling. They have exquisite jewelry, statues, furniture and hundreds of items to look at. They have wonderfully music playing to set just the right mood without being distracting.  You can feel the textures of the hand carved items and smell the wonderful incense wafting through the air.

They have items that will make you smile, ones that will make you ooh and ah, and ones that will have you saying, “wow, where did they find that”.  As you walk through you will find yourself picturing friends and family as you say to yourself, “… would love that.”  It would be hard not to find something in here that anyone on your gift list would love.  I could make a long list and still not cover everything they have to offer, so I’ll let the pictures entice you.
Down Island Traders is located in the historic downtown of Wilmington, NC. Be sure to check out their website if you don’t live locally.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome looking shop. I love going into shops like that. It's so hard to control my spending though. Certainly dangerous territory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how you could spend hours in that shop. It looks great. So many neat and unique items to select from. Another great shop.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stores like these. Spend hours in them. Not buy anything. Just browse and look at all the cool stuff.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could spend a hundred years in that store. So many funky cool things to look at. Thanks for the photo tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, I want to go to Down Island Traders now. But I want to go to New Zealand, too. Sigh. Maybe one day.

    I saw the photos of your cat and loved them. I have posted a photo of Haiku Cat with his own defiant haiku on my blog in tribute to National Poetry Month.

    Come check out my blog. I think you'll get a chuckle out of my Haiku Cat. I hate that you're having trouble with a locust of spammers. It seems that there's always some that ruin it for the rest of us just out to chat and muse about life and our dreams.

    Have a healing day, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That's cool. I would love to go there! I just wish I had money to spend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    Most of the things you see are on their website.

    My new commenters, welcome and thanks for stopping by. I'll stop by and check out your blogs later today.

    ReplyDelete