Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Reviews

The Riddle of Berlin by Cym Lowell
Lowell has written a very ambitious first novel. Riddle of Berlin is an intellectual thriller. There are terrorist, inept politicians, international intrigue and numerous satellite characters. At times it feels as though Lowell has tried to be too ambitious by throwing in too many plot twists. At times it feels like it loses its focus, or maybe as a reader I lost focus. This is one of those stories where if it were a movie you would want lots of commercials, because the plot is so complex that if you miss even a second you will be completely lost and have to start over. Overall a decent first novel and it will be interesting to see if the next novel offers more cohesiveness. 3.5 out of five stars.


Hidden Truths by Brenda Youngerman
Emotions run the gamut in this book that follows the lives of four children as they grow to adulthood. Two sets of siblings raised separately in very different environments. This book is about life and the journey it takes you on. One of Youngerman’s biggest strengths is that she gets the human psyche and when she writes not only do you feel like a fly on the wall but you become totally invested in her characters. It is a true gift to be able to put your reader into your character’s mind when the reader would normally not be able to relate. Often I read books that I just cannot get into because I can’t relate to any of the characters. With Hidden truths, I don’t relate to any of the characters but because of Youngerman’s skill, I became invested in their lives. This is not an easy read, it’s raw, it’s emotional, it is real. 4.5 out of five stars.


The Final War and 3001: Birth of a Political Renaissance by Priscilla Herochik
What if greed was so pervasive in politics and religion that corrupt religious leaders and inept narcissistic politicians caused the downfall of the world? Oh wait, we are already living in that world. This book is like two books in one. The first part leading up to a nuclear event and the second half is about what the world can become in the aftermath. Although there are an abundance of religious and political undertones, this book isn’t about either of those. It’s more about mankind’s destructive and self-serving nature and how future generations can simplify and rebuild what current generations destroy. There is a lot of drama in this book and although long, it is a relatively easy read. Four out of five stars,


Issa: The Greatest Story Never Told by Lois Drake
We know very little about the teenage years of Jesus (Issa). Drake gives us one possible accounting of those missing years. The beautiful thing about this story is that it gives us a logical journey not one biased by rhetoric or traditional dogma. Anyone who knows teenagers knows they have a natural curiosity. Issa would be no different and because of his benevolent nature it is easy to see his friends and him learning different cultures. Four out of five stars.

4 comments:

  1. "The Final War and 3001" reminds me of what "Jericho" could have been if it hadn't gotten bogged down by conspiracy theories. I may check it out....BTW FIRST COMMENT! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You used the description "inept politicians" for two of these reviews - is there any other kind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review. I appreciate the positive and constructive comments. I find that one of my challenges in learning how to write fiction is what you have put your finger on – do not overload the story. I will redouble my efforts. Thanks again.

    Warms, Cym

    **If I can ever offer your readers book giveaways etc. Please let me know. I am here to support you! Also, in time, I hope you will consider reviewing my second novel. You have been very gracious and are appreciated.**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maurice- I watched Jericho and your right it could have been so much better.

    Alex- Good point.

    Cym- I would love to review your next one! I look forward to it.

    Readers, you heard Cym, leave a comment and I'll pick someone to receive an ebook of Riddle of Berlin.

    ReplyDelete