Monday, April 12, 2010

A to Z Challenge, Part 2

Continuing with Tossing it Out’s A to Z challenge, today I’ll cover E, F, G H.


E is for Emergency Backup.
Recently Jemi over at Just Jemi had a laptop malfunction and she posted about it, reminding everyone to back up their files. So, do you have an emergency backup if your computer decides to be evil and not work or worse your hard drive gets wiped? For documents and files I am currently working on I keep a thumb drive and after learning these can stop working if just pulled out, I always use the “safe uninstall hardware” method now. I also back up my entire computer to an external hard drive weekly. Luckily my computer reminds me to do this every time I boot up. If you haven’t backed up your files lately, what are you waiting for?

F is for Followers.
I have cut back on the blogs I follow because I just don’t have time to read them all, and I believe that I should only advertise I’m following the ones I actually am. Jessica over at The Alliterative Allomorph  recently did a fabulous post about commenters which got a lot of attention and brought up many good points. Why do you follow a certain blog and what if anything makes you stop? I only follow blogs I’m really interested in, simply because I have limited time. I’d love to follow more but just can’t. MY blog is less than a year old and judging from the number of comments I receive I’m guessing many of my “followers” don’t read my post and only started following to either win a prize I was offering or because they wanted me to follow them. I do try to follow my regular commenters and comment when I can on their blogs. Admittedly I’m not as diligent with this as I’d like to be, but I do keep track and get to their blogs eventually because it’s just common courtesy and, hey, I like making new bloggy friends. Keeps blogging fun.

G is for Girlfriends.
I grew up with boys and for most of my life my main friends have been guys. I tend to relate to guys better I guess. But, as I’ve gotten older I have developed more and more really great bonds with women. There is a sisterhood that I think develops the older we get because we struggle with many of the same issues and have similar taste and concerns. And let’s face it, no matter how close we are to the men in our lives, nothing compares to the bond women form with one another.

H is for Hiccups
Not the annoying takes you by surprise at the worst possible moment and only gets louder and more persistent the quieter you try to be and the more you try to get rid of them. They trap us. We can’t focus on anything but figuring out how to make them stop. No I mean metaphorical hiccups. Those moments that shock us and make us pause or spur us into action. Those jolts of realization. My latest hiccup came when I was sitting with a fellow writer and we were talking about a book I have been working on for a long time but just couldn’t make myself finish. She said that I didn’t have to write it. I should move on and work on the writing project I was excited about. That hit like a hiccup does. It was startling. I’m not a quitter. I started out with a goal and I should see it to the end, right? Well, she was right. I didn’t even want to write that book any more and it was taking away from me writing the one I’m passionate about. Like a hiccup it snuck up on and jolted me and like that moment when you finally stop hiccupping, the decision to let it go, move on was very freeing.

I, J, K, L, M coming later this week.

10 comments:

  1. It's a good reminder to backup our files. I'm the worst at starting to do that and then get sidetracked. That's something I've got to do.

    I understand about the following. There are so many great blogs to follow, but so little time to do it.

    Some of my closest friends are males, but my dearest friend is female.

    I had never thought of hiccups in that manner. Enjoyed the post, looking forward to the next set.

    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I back up my external every week as well.

    And that's a good point about the followers. I'm not overwhelmed yet, but I can see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never back anything up because I don't know how to do it! We are using a rebuilt computer right now too that isn't functioning all that well. I suppose I should look into how I can back things up.

    Glad you figured out that hiccup and hope the new writing project goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason- I was the same way with my old computer which is why I'm glad this one reminds me.

    Alex- Just wait til that book comes out, you'll have more followers than you know what to do with. A little birdie told me it is fabulous and I can't wait to read it.

    Trudy- Thanks for stopping by. One of the easiest ways to backup is to get an external hard drive. It plugs in to a USB port. Once you open it up you can just drag and drop files,folders, pics, etc. It will make a copy and your original still stays on your computer. Glad I figured it out too, life is to short to not do what you are passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I desperately need to back up my files. I have an external drive so will probably just back up the things I would be lost without on to it.

    Followers... my blog is very new but I am slowly adding a few blogs I follow. I read a few comments on the post you are referring to... my thoughts are that I'd rather have someone following my blog because they like what I have to say than have someone follow just because I am following theirs.

    Friends... I always tended to have male friends as well, at least in high school/college. I have been blessed to find a couple of great women friends over the past year or so (and have a few I've been friends with for years as well).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son asked why I have so many thumb drives...it's because electronics are so temperamental!I also have an external Iomega drive for weekly backups. Since I host my own blog I backup MYSQL databases weekly as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tami! Missed you! We have to talk more, I'm going to email you later.
    Somewhat techi challenged, not sure what a MYSQL is or how to back that up. Guess I need to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I'd prefer readers to just followers on my blog, but having a lot of followers I think gives a blog an added sense of credility in appearance, though maybe not in reality. I'll take the followers and hope they become readers.

    I'm going to mention your blog on my post for Wed 4/14.
    Lee

    Blogging From A to Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great point, Lee. Thanks for the mention. Can't wait to see who else you mention as well. I'll be posting I thru N on Thursday, 4/15.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well analysis of letters.....nice blog....thnx for the comment too

    ReplyDelete