Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reviews

Stressed in Scottsdale by Marcia Fine
Do you need to de-stress your life? Then pick up a copy of Fine’s book and escape from the chaotic pace of life with fits of laughter. Fine has taken the life of one stressed out, over committed woman and made her into someone we can all relate to and learn from. You will see parts of yourself and friends in the lead character, Jean Rubin as she faces some of life’s challenges with grace and humor. 4.5 out of five stars.





Fire Gazer: Arson at the Wolf House by Kevin Burton McGuire
Those of you who follow me know I don’t like overpriced tiny books, but if said book offers something of value to the reader or at least fulfills its promise, I try to give it two scores, one for value and one for content. Unfortunately, this is one that a single rating will cover both. At $12 for approximately 100 pages, I expected a lot. This book was a disappointment, as it followed a reporter, Ken and a self-important homeless man/conman, DC. None of the characters nor the plot are compelling or even interesting. In addition, the book is more about DC’s god complex than about the arson. One out of five stars.


2012 Maya End Date: A New Beginning by Edward Dayne Curry
Who hasn’t wondered what is in store for 2012? Are the prophecies real or hype? As the infamous date draws nearer, people either get more anxious or apathetic. For me, I don’t really worry about it one way or another because there are bigger forces than me at work and my only function is to handle what unfolds in life. That being said, being a history buff and having an innate curiosity about life and the world, I do enjoy reading all the theories and stories. In 2012 Maya End Date, Curry combines history and prophecy, fact and fiction. Curry has done his research and it shows. He is also an excellent story teller, so the reader feels like they are reading about real people and events; not something created in Curry’s mind. A compelling read. 4.5 out of five stars.

4 comments:

  1. These books look good! I just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood, and now starting The Lightning Thief.

    PS: Beautiful header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure 2012 will be nothing like the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these look fantastic...Hope to find them and devour each and every page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome & Thank you Terresa. I actually worked on The Handmaid's Tale movie that was shot in the Raleigh area in the 90's.

    Alex- I like John Cusack but if he is going to be the one to save us in 2012 I think we are all in trouble.

    Shannon- Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete