Thursday, November 12, 2009

Book Review - A Walk for Sunshine by Jeff Alt

Let's follow Jeff Alt on his 2,160 mile journey through 14 states as he hikes the Appalachain Trail. The 'sunshine' of the title is the Sunshine Home. Sunshine Inc. provides services to children and adults with developmental disabilities and mental retardation. Jeff has an even more personal reason to undertake this journey. His brother, Aaron was born with cerebal palsy and mental retardation. Sunshine has been there for Aaron and his family. At a time when people are struggling to stay afloat and are often obsessed with their own lives and what other can do for them, it is heartwarming to come across a book that displays one man's journey to give something back.
Call it my background in the film and TV industry, but one of my first thoughts when starting this book was the disclaimer, "now, don't try this at home". The thing is, A Walk for Sunshine doesn't need such a disclaimer. Not that I would try it, Alt made me tired just reading it. Alt does such a wonderful job of sharing how he prepared for and fulfilled his journey, that one does feel as though he has given you the formula to undertake your own 2,160 mile hike. While this is a great book about hiking the Appalachain Trail in all its glory and with its challenges, this book is also a look at the people you meet, the generosity of others and how the ability to laugh at oneself can see you through.

If you want a book to motivate you to reach for your dreams and achieve your goals, this is one you want to pick up. I give it 3.5 out of 5 walking sticks.

This book was provided by the author and will be passed on to one lucky commenter.


6 comments:

  1. Another book that sounds, "right up my alley" (or in this case "trail")!

    Heartwarming, inspirational, motivational - YES! Love it!

    Question: What WAS his purpose in this quest? Did he do it to raise funds for Sunshine? What actually inspired him to make this journey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE books like this that inspire you to reach far, dream big, and accomplish all that you can. Thanks for this review - I want to read it now.

    Marvin D Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal- I believ he was originally inspired by Earl Shaffer's journey in the 1940's. There was a book of the first trek and I may be wrong about the person, but off the top of my head I think that is the one. But I think the main reason he did the journey was for hiw brother and Sunshine, which is truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris: That's what I thought and what I got out of your review, I just wondered if there might be something else - another element or motivation for his undertaking this journey.

    This is such a great example of a good book having even more appeal simply because part of the WHY he did this was to "give back."

    Not only inspirational but so very heartwarming, as you said! It just gives me such a GOOD feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book. I can't wait to buy it and get reading. Thank you for the well written review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to read books about thinking big. Life's too short. I don't read many depressing weird stuff like some of the Southern gothic writers I had to read in high school.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete