Friday, October 23, 2009

Welcome to the Weekend with....... Crystal from Crystal Clear Proofing

There are so many fascinating people that I want to get to know better and I love reading interviews on other sites, so I decided to start an interview feature on Friday's to share some of these intriguing people with you. I know there are many blogs who already interview other bloggers and authors, so I'm going to take a look at some people who don't often get interviewed. I'll still have interviews with bloggers and authors also, but having worked in the film industry and being a budding author myself, I plan on interviewing a wider array of talents.

For the first interview of this feature, I chose a true "Gem". I have dubbed her the Grammar Goddess, because she has a true gift with the written word. She is a Proofreader and Copyeditor as well as a blogger. We actually met in the blog world and instantly hit it off. I think many of you share my admiration for this wonderful lady and follow her blog. Crystal has graciously agreed to share a little bit about her world with us.



First of all, tell us a little about yourself.
I was born and raised in the Midwest, but actually "grew up" in California. I moved there when I was 20 and lived in the Golden State for 12 years before returning to be closer to my family. I love the mountains - and oh! That ocean out there? It's mine (smile). I think part of me will always be a California Girl!

I'm quite eclectic, and as most people know, I'm very into motivational and inspiring thoughts. I have an open mind and I believe in, well, I guess karma. I believe that how and what you say and do, the type of person you are, comes back to you. Some people live their lives "blaming." They blame the way they are on something that happened to them - their childhood, an incident from years ago. I try to stay in the NOW. Sure, "things" happen, they always will. But learn from it, grow from it, get passed it and get on with life. Don't get stuck!


When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

LOL! I grew up in the sixties, playing with Barbie dolls and seeing Doris Day in movies where she was a successful career woman - a new thing in the sixties! I wanted to be a wife and mother, and Doris comes in with the career thing. So, I ended up on the proverbial corporate ladder and worked my way up.


When did you first realize you loved words and grammar?

According to my parents, I was able to read at a very early age, and I have an aunt who is two years my senior and we used to play "school" a lot. But first realizing I loved words and grammar, I'd have to say would have been in middle school. I had Creative Writing and English Composition classes that I just loved. I also took Speech and Journalism classes. I was always a straight A student, but really found that those classes just came so easy for me - and I loved them!

Then when I stepped into the "corporate world," my bosses soon discovered my talent with wording and basically making their letters and correspondence sound better. I began putting together annual and financial reports, proofreading corporate material, etc. I took some night classes to further my education, and before long my jobs were focused more on the editing aspect of administrative work.


My first job as a proofreader at a media publication clinched it. I absolutely loved that job. It wasn't what I tend to refer to as "just a job." It never seemed that way. I loved what I did, loved going to work. Again, what I did just seemed natural to me...it was never an effort or a challenge, just something I did, and loved doing.


What makes the Grammar Goddess tick?

LOL. That IS such a catchy term, and I have to laugh whenever you use it. I guess a lot of what makes me "tick" can be garnered from the first question. I live my life with a certain belief system and truly do believe that we should continually strive to be the best person we can be. I work on ME - who I am. I work on little flaws, or ways of thinking that I don't like and attempt to change them. I'm also very proactive in continuing my education. I love learning.


I appreciate the little things in life. You'd be surprised at how some of the smallest, insignificant (to others) things can bring me so much joy!


When you sit down to edit or proofread something, do you have a particular routine you follow?

I can't have music or television on when I edit. I have my library of reference books handy in my office, as when I edit I don't simply make the necessary changes, I'll usually provide the reason, or grammatical rule explaining WHY in the document. The way editing is done today is so much better than hard copy proofreading. Rather than proofreader marks, which many writers aren't familiar with anyway, and sticky notes, you can, what I call, "redline" and insert balloon comments into the document. It's so much easier and convenient for both the editor and the author. I talk out loud a lot when doing editorial proofreading or substantive editing, usually trying to determine how a sentence or phrase sounds better. There are several ways to word and say the same thing, but certain combinations of words just flow better. Again, something that comes rather natural to me, so a lot of the speaking aloud is just a form of reinforcement that what I've come up with works...flows.


I usually do an initial edit and follow up with one, sometimes two final edits. I'm extremely thorough. Actually I drive myself crazy sometimes!


What is the typical process of an author and an editor working together to get a book ready for publication?

This can vary slightly, but initially a client will contact me for information about my services; the type and level of editing required, pricing, turnaround time, payment terms etc. Once all of that has been determined, I get to work on the project. Occasionally the client and I will need to communicate for clarification purposes, questions, etc., but most generally it's a pretty smooth process. My part is basically over once the editing is done, unless they request any additional services, such as a query letter. Also on occasion a writer will also commission me to critique a work in progress.


What is a query letter and what makes one stand out more than the rest?

I have never encountered a writer who doesn't find the query letter daunting and, to them, a nightmare! They find it very easy to write a book, but writing a letter ABOUT the book and "selling" it - they just dread it.


A query letter is very important as this is either going to get a publisher to look at your book or toss the pages you've sent and your letter in the trash. You can't be intimidated at the prospect of expressing just how great your book is and why. And an absolute MUST is to adhere by and follow the publisher's submission requirements! I can't stress that enough. That is one of THE most frustrating things to a publisher! Another thing that many people overlook is the importance of research. Look the publisher up online. See the kind of books they publish and don't be afraid to mention something they've published that might be similar in genre to your submission. This shows the publisher from the very beginning that you've done a little legwork and you're not just sending out generic letters.




What inspired you to start your blog, Crystal Clear Proofing?

When I decided to start my own business, I began asking a lot of questions. I talked with people I knew at the time who were already online, people I met online...I did a lot of research, finding out what was involved, steps I should take, etc. I did a lot of reading both online and off. As I completed various tasks, for example getting my domain name and building my website, it was actually our mutual friend and fellow blogger, L. Diane Wolfe, (I actually met Diane on My Cat Space), who encouraged me to venture into the blogosphere. I actually remember her saying, "Now you need to start blogging." And the rest, as they say, is history.


Having met you through the blog world, I know that you follow book bloggers. What other types of blogs do you enjoy?

Book reviewer blogs are interesting in that they provide an insight as to what other people look for and "see" in a book. I enjoy author and writer blogs a lot - as they give me a perspective of, as I call it, the "World of Words" from their angle. Having a glimpse of what happens before a book makes its way to me is very enlightening. And, I love (again with this...) motivational and uplifting blogs. I follow a couple of really wonderful ones. In my opinion, you can't read or hear enough positive things, thoughts, outlooks, perspectives...so many people dwell on and actually LIVE in negativity. What a downer! Life is challenging enough! Lighten up a little and look at the brighter side! Sure makes this journey a lot more enjoyable!


What makes a great book in your eyes?

When I'm "hooked" within the first few paragraphs, to the point of wanting to know, "What now? What happens next?" THAT is my first indication that this is probably going to be a good book. It isn't foolproof though. Some writers tend to be too descriptive or verbose, or they drag a story on...and on. But then, that is usually evident in those first paragraphs. Drawing the reader IN so that the characters become familiar and for the duration of the book, they're your friends, your relating with them, you're on the edge of your seat - depending on the genre; keeping things interesting and fast-paced, is a talent. If you have those initial elements at the beginning and you're identifying with the characters during the first chapter, chances are you're about to enjoy a really good book.


If we were to take a peek at your bookshelves, what types of books would we find?

A lot of self-improvement and self-empowerment books, LOL - and of course inspirational and motivational books! I also have quite a collection of books on angels, different faiths, beliefs, cultures, meditation, crystals...quite diverse there. I'll go through periods where I'm really fascinated about a certain topic and I'll read everything I can get my hands on about it. I have been through my Romanov stage where The Last of the Czars fascinated me, and that led to reading War and Peace; I've read a lot about the Anasazi and other lost civilizations. Mozart's biography was fascinating. I also have several books about the Silver Screen Era of Hollywood. I'm fascinated with history. And those are just examples of my NON-fiction collection. I have SO many fiction books! Series by favorite authors, exceptionally captivating books; some I keep, others I don't ... I'm running out of room! Oh! And of course the tools of my trade - my reference, grammar and style books!


Who is your role model in life?

My dad. He has a heart of gold, it's so pure and good. I've always said that I must have done something really wonderful in a previous life to deserve such a wonderful father this time around! He's ALWAYS been there for me, is supportive, and a wonderful father. He is such a kind, loving and giving person. I just adore him (can you tell)?


I know we share a love of and a connection to cats. Have cats always been your pet of choice? And if so what is it about them?

We always had cats when I was growing up, and I've always had a cat or cats while living on my own. First of all they're the purrrfect pet. They're self-sufficient, (for the most part), and independent. They're so loving, playful and adorable! They are incredibly intuitive little furries. They know and sense and react to your moods. They're really quite amazing.




If you could be guaranteed one thing in life, what would you ask for?

I'm basically a healthy person and take care of my self and my body. But I do suffer from a couple of medical conditions, and having been in a serious car accident in 1985 has, over the years, left me with also having osteoarthritis and chronic pain. So I would definitely ask for good health!


I know Believe is your favorite word. Tell us why it's your favorite word and what it means to you.

There is nothing negative about the word BELIEVE. It basically sums up all that is positive and inspiring. You can believe in yourself, believe that everything happens for a reason, believe in God or who or whatever your Higher Power is, believe in the power of positive thinking... the list is endless. I just love the word. To me it means hope, faith, everything really. Because, well, say you're depressed. If you believe that, "this too shall pass," and you WILL be happy and feel good again, you've got all you need to help yourself - if you just believe.


In the short time we've known each other, I've come to know that you are a warm and loving person who always has a kind word for others and who inspires so many of us. Who do you look to when you want to feel inspired?

What kind words to say about me!! Thank you!


My dad is a steadfast, always-there supporter and lifter-upper. I also have a few very special people in my life who I am so proud to call friends. They have never let me down, are always there for me. I'm very grateful for them. I do not take that word, or any of the implications that go with it, lightly. A true, real friend is something very rare and very, very special.

A very important source is my Higher Power. Whatever your beliefs, there is an energy source that is part of each of us, part of our souls - our essence. And that higher power is always there and always standing ready with a good dose of inspiration! And tapping into that "source" is simply a matter of going inside yourself. That wonderful energy and power resides within all of us!


If you won a million dollars and you had to spend it in three months or lose it, what would you do with the money?

Travel, especially to the oldest places with the most history. Maybe take that trip into space that I've heard about that cost a fortune and then some! I'd give to people in need, and I'd definitely donate to the medical research of certain ailments and diseases, along with a few other worthy causes. Hospice organizations, those with regard to animals...


If you could return for one year to one age in your life, knowing what you now know, to relive the year as you wish, which year would you return to and why?

You know, I could say that I'd return to a particular age when I made a bad decision or took an unfavorable path...but I (sorry - AGAIN...) believe that everything happens for a reason, and those things have all made me who I am today.


So, I would choose the year 2002. A few years prior to that, my mother and I had become not just friends, but mother and daughter. We had a rough, up-and-down relationship for the better part of my life. Also during that year, my parents worked with me on a little remodeling of my home - painting, that kind of thing. The following spring, in May of 2003 my mom was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer and died 4 1/2 months later. (Also, only a couple of months before mom's diagnosis, her mother - my grandmother died; a couple of months after losing mom, my furry Max died, and a short period later my grandfather died.) I remember after her diagnosis, consciously soaking in and enjoying every moment with her. But it was marred by the undercurrent of what we knew was imminent.


I'd love to relive that year of naïveté.


If they were to make a movie of your life, what would it be called and who would you want to play you?

The first person that came to my mind as to who I would want to play me was Kate Hudson. She can be both serious and funny, and like her mother, she has this certain way of being - silly! Those qualities would be essential in portraying me.


I guess we'd just have to call the movie, "Believe." It would take the audience through a full spectrum of emotions and experiences. The main character would have a positive outlook as she reflects on the events of her life, good and bad. The entire experience of learning and growing all revolving around believing. Believing that the hard times back there actually played an integral part of who she eventually became. Believing that the wrong decision or path she took over there, she looks back on and realizes that she has used that experience in her quest to shape who she is. Belief that all the experiences in this journey we call life have some meaning.

Never having given up, she's taken chances. She's been persistent and determined, caring and empathetic, she's treated others the way she's wanted to be treated. Believing that when all is said and done and we move on, she'll be rewarded. Wrap that all up into one story and its overall message would be to - Believe.


One last, silly, question. What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

What? I thought that's why I was answering all these questions!

 
 
Thank you, Crystal,  for sharing with us, a glimpse into your life and what an editor does. You are a lovely and fascinating person. I know who I'm using to edit my book.
 
Make sure you check out her website, and follow her blog for great tips on and fun with grammar. You take the pain out of grammar and make it easier to understand.

And make sure you read her installment of Ember in Wrilogonzia. It's action packed and fabulous!  You definitely, deserve that Klondike bar.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you, Chris for asking me to be your first "Welcome to the Weekend" feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, ladies! Crystal I am SO glad you moved into the blogging world.
    And there's not a time I'd like to go back and relive. Everything happens for a reason and I am happy with my place in life now. If I went back, I'd just mess it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww..thanks, Diane! As I said in the interview, it was your nudging that got me here! And I'm so glad you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome, Crystal. Thanks again for letting me do the interview. I posted links her in your comments and Diane's so people can learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed learning more about the "Grammar Goddess!" Just recently I've been following Crystal and her blog, and she's a sharp lady with a lot goin' on. Hey Crystal, I figured you for a self-improvement kinda gal. (wink)

    The Old Silly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words, Marvin! I appreciate you stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great interview! I loved finding out more about you, Crystal. I love your philosophy on life and the fact that you're so centered and have such a positive attitude. Thanks for sharing a little about yourself!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Elizabeth! I truly appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been trying to resist the urge to say, "no, You are!" but I just can't. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. No! No, really, Chris! YOU are! LOL! People are going to wonder WHAT we're talking about! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Crystal,
    Thanks for posting the comment on my blog letting me know about this interview. You're welcome!
    Loved learning more about you. We have a lot in common in terms of our beliefs. Bloggydom is so empowering in that way, connecting people who never would have been connected otherwise.
    Blessings to you,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting interview! I'm glad I know more about you, Crystal, it's always nice to learn about the 'person behind the blog'.

    Elspeth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen and Elspeth: Thanks so much for stopping by. I really do appreciate it, and am very happy that I've met both of you!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful interview. Crystal, I've now discovered that we have even more things in common than I thought. Cat lover (though I've grown more allergic over the years and don't have any anymore.) Love to edit, though editing my own stuff baffles me. Now if I could just create a descent query. I even admire the contents of your book shelves, though I've only grown to appreciate history lately. I can only wish for such book shelves. You are indeed a wonderful lady. Thanks for being in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, Crystal, we do have a lot of things in common. I'm from the Midwest (Ohio), moved to Cali and never returned except for visits.

    I ended up in journalism before I retired and began writing books. I started as a stringer and ended up editing for regional California newspapers and then publishing my own paper. (You've read my Weekend story by the talented Carter, so you must have noted similarities.)

    I couldn't be in better company because everyone on this site thinks so highly of you. Way to go, to use a term from your sixties. LOL...

    I've been called a lot of things--from editor-in-chief to Sunny Cali Girl--but never Grammar Goddess. If my friend Linda sees this, she will no doubt start calling me that.

    This is a very interesting interview. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself.

    Hugs and best wishes - Betty Dravis

    ReplyDelete