Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday's Photo

I picked this meme up from Spunk on a Stick Tips, but I don't have the author or publishing experience she does so I've decided instead of posting writing tips with my photos, I'd post some of the poems and stories I've written in the past. Being the week before Halloween, Today's post is a ghost story I wrote back around this time in 1986. The pictures are from some of the old houses around Wilmington, NC.



My Haunting

As I hide in the portrait of my grandmother, I watch a group of teenagers inspecting my rickety old house. Little do they know that I have chosen to stay here eternally. In the parlor, where Confederate soldiers had once courted me, I light the fire to the amazement of my intruders. Then, I blow in a draft to send shivers up their spines. The looks on their faces causes me to giggle and I'm afriad they may have heard me, for they've begun to look around to find the source of the sound. I follow them into the old kitchen, pull out a chair and sit down. They all jump back and one of the boys shrieks. Being invisible is quite fun, but I think I'll really spook them by making an appearance if they go upstairs. I love to see the awe in their eyes as they try to find me.

They say some of the strangest things as they walk around my dim, musty kitchen. While I know they are speaking my language the words seem different. I get up and pass through one of my visitors, who then experiences a hot flash. The intruders stare at me dumbfounded, not realizing their mouths are hanging open. How I miss having visitors.


Well, I think it's time to take these curoius teens upstairs. I knock over a vase, making it crash to the dusty wooden florr. They are coming up the squeaky spiral staircase to investigate. As they look around, hoping to catch another glimpse of me, I open a door and invite them into my room. The air is a little stuffy so I open a few windows and fill the air with the sweet smell of violets. as they enter the room, I make myself visible enough for them to see my liguidy haze. They try to touch me, but their hands pass right through making me giggle. They gaze at me mystified, trying to figure out who I am.

I begin to fade into a portrait. My little displays have tired me and my introduers are beginning to leave.

My home has once again become quiet and dark......


for now......



2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's good! Reminds me of some of the stories we heard on a ghost tour through Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of my writing class days. Cool story!

    ReplyDelete