Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Good The Bad & The Ugly Wednesday

For those of you new to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Wednesday, I give you the run down on three sites with a similar theme. The Good is an interesting site, check it out if you have a chance. The Bad (bad as in cool) is a great site and you should definitely take a look-see. Now the Ugly, is an awesome site, you should drop everything and go check it out.

This weeks The Good, The Bad and the Ugly are blogs who help the rest of us bloggers who happen to be a little techie challenged. Being new to this blogging thing, I am always seeing cool layouts, widgets, gadgets and thingies (yes, that's my favorite word for anything I don't know the official name of). Like a kid in a candy store, I , too, want all these cool thing-a-ma-bobs. Unfortunately I'm blonde and somewhat technologically challenged. Luckily, I'm not alone and the blog world is full of wonderful people willing to share their knowledge. Some of you have noticed that my blog recently went thru a transformation. I can thank the wonderful tutorials of our "Ugly" blogger for that. That and the trusted opinion of my dear friend, Crystal over at Crystal Clear Proofing, who was gracious enough to let me send her pictures and bounce ideas off of.

The Good is Blogger Tips and Tricks. A great little blog that gives you tips, tricks, links and answers questions. The post tend to be concise and brief. This site's main focus is the Blogger blogs and most of the post cover simple and basic questions for the seasoned blogger, but for those of us who are new, it's a great site to quickly check for answers.

The Bad  goes to The Real Blogger Status. This site has the nifty subtitle, "What Blogger Won't Tell You." Makes me feel all comspiratorial. ( I know probably not a real word, but it sounds omninous.) This site also gives short concise posts that cover some of the latest problems and and latest tricks and gadgets. It also provides great links to many other Blogger friendly sites to help you make the most of your Blogger Blog. Many of the tips and fixes will also work for other blog host sites. One of the great things about this site is it is user friendly no matter what country you are from or what language you speak.

The Ugly site this week has been a godsend to me and is a true find for any blogger, but especially those new bloggers who only know how to do the most basic things. Let me introduce you to LawnyDesigns, the  nearly one-stop shop for all your tips, tricks and tutorials. His posts are amazing and make blogging seem so easy a first grader could make one. He gives you step by step instructions complete with screen shots so you know what your HTML should look like. Plus, he is very diligent about helping his commentors and answering questions. So make sure you read through those as well when looking up a particular topic. You sometimes will find extra tips in them. After reviewing many of the comments that follow his posts, I noticed a recurring theme among his followers. They want him to do the tech work for them. Hey, wouldn't we all. What takes me hours would probably take him mere seconds. Okay, I'll be honest, what takes me days would probably take him mere seconds. Note *If you go to his site, and I strongly encourage everyone to head over and check it out, don't be one of those commentors who says, "can I email you my blog and you can fix it for me?", over and over when he very politely has explained that he is extremely busy but will be glad to work on your site if you wish to hire him but otherwise please just post your questions and he'll answer what he can.  The man graciously explains how to achieve great results in his post, and goes out of his way to help his commentor's, but reworking sites is something he does get paid to do, so if that is what you are looking for, by all means contact him and get a quote. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, appreciate the gift he is putting out there for us.

Hope you find these sites as helpful as I have. Happy Blogging!!

1 comment:

  1. This is AWESOME Chris! (Oh, and conspiratorial IS a word!)

    You know when people say, "Thanks for the plug," I just always think of that little thingie (are you sure you didn't get that word from me?? LOL) that you put in the sink to keep the water in. Yeah, weird I know - so anyway, thanks for mentioning me and CCP in your post!

    Like we were saying yesterday, we work so well together and I'm so psyched to have someone else who is techie challenged (and STOP that! It's NOT because we're blonde!) that I can share ideas and try out new things with!!

    This was a great idea to post these sites today. I'm sure there are a lot of people who will find this information very helpful!

    ReplyDelete