Thursday, October 22, 2009

Book Review - The First Thirty Seconds by Stephen M. Armstrong

When I saw the cover of this book, I was instantly drawn to it. I love trees and although it's not my favorite color, I love orange too. I will admit I let physical beauty influence me over content. When the book first arrived and I flipped through it, I was a little disappointed. It's very sparse. Not a lot of words in this one. You see I'm a meat and potatoes kind of reader. I like a lot of substance in my books. Give me a book with 500-600 pages in tiny print and I'm in heaven. So at first glance, this nook made me feel like I was being rationed, being put on a diet. Once again, I was letting the physical appearance sway my judgment. I was torn. Torn between that esoteric disappointment and being very busy, part of me was relieved - this book was so sparse I'd be able to read and review this in no time. Then I made an interesting discovery.......

That Stephen M Armstrong is a sly one. The First Thirty Seconds is a wonderful resource for personal reflection. Don't be fooled by its sparse interior. This book could almost be called a workbook. He combines pages of 'thought' with pages of 'reflection' that compliment the thoughts, often times giving you a question to ask yourself. People often comment on how positive I am and ask how I do it. Considering at one point in my life I was the queen of negativity, I always respond with making a conscious effort and lots of hard work. It's a shame this book wasn't published all those years ago when I began that journey. Not everyone wants to reflect, it's often not easy to look inside oneself. Although I don't have the background in Psychology and Therapy that Armstrong does, it is something I see in those around me every day. This book offers a great first step in that journey. I give it four out of five reflections.

There are so many great thoughts and reflections in this book it is hard to choose only a few to give you a taste of what a full course meal this book really is.

Thought (from page 9):
Wherever you may be
in the natural course of your day,
you can always pause to consider your attitude.
~
If it needs readjustment
to more positive or more loving or more sensitive,
the changes in your attitude can be made
within the next thirty seconds.
~
It is never too late or too futile.

The companion reflection (page 10):
What can I use as a trigger today
that will remind me to check my attitude?


Thought (from page 63):
Happiness is elusive:
the more it is directly sought
the harder it is to find.
~
Rather, it is most frequently
a by-product of positive thinking
and positive behavior.

The companion reflection (page 64):
Will I stubbornly refuse
to take responsibility
for my own happiness?


Thought (from page 179):
We all know
that hindsight is 20/20.
We also know
that a rearview mirror
is sometimes necessary.
The normal adult experience
includes occasional backward glances,
sometimes accompanied by regrets.
~
Regrets should not be viewed
as evidence of one's failure as a person.
Rather, they should be viewed
as lessons learned
and motivation to do better.

The companion reflection (page 180):
What have I framed as a "regret"
that could be framed as a "lesson learned"?


* This book was provide by the author.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THIS BOOK! Does this guy know me? Does he realize this is MY ALLEY??

    This is what I attempt to do every day of my life. The longer you practice certain "methods" the better you get. But it's something you're always working on!

    Did I say, "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS BOOK"?

    GREAT REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION, CHRIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well lucky you, this is one of the books I told you I was going to send to you. The other is Saved by a Poem, which I haven't finished reading yet. I thought you'd love this.

    ReplyDelete