Thursday, October 8, 2009

Book Review - Murder in the Magick Club by Byron A. Lorrier, Esq.

When I first read the synopsis for this book, I was intrigued and excited about reading it. I had been reading a lot of non-fiction, children and fantasy books. I love a good mystery and this was not only a mystery but was about a murder in a Pagan Nightclub in Florida. How cool! Bound to be a page turner. When the book arrived it, the cover reminded me of a classic horror film movie case. It was subtle, unlike the mellow-dramatic posters of horror movies today. Then I opened the book, and read the dedication, "To all the warty toads who hopped across my path". Here was a man with imagination. I started to read, then began to yarn, then forced myself to keep reading, it had to get interesting soon; it held such promise. Lorrier gives you the dark and seedy side of The Magick Club's personnel. Unfortunately they are neither fascinating nor likable enough to sustain the story which focuses mainly on long drawn out and unnecessary descriptions. The story just seems to go in circles around more descriptions and loses the reader, at least this one. Also unfortunate, is that he never gives you a character you can relate to or even care about. Your left feeling, "what was the point of this book?" After sludging my way through this, I looked up other reviews to see what people thought and was shocked at how many good reviews have been posted. I don't get it. For me it was not well written and was a snooze fest, which is sad because I really wanted to like it. I can only give this book one knife in the back out of five.

*This book was provided by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment