Monday, March 22, 2010

Winners & Reviews

First of all, Let me say thank you to everyone who stopped by for last week’s Irish festivities. I picked up an extra pin so I have two winners. B. Miller and Tami are the winners. Please email me your mailing address and I’ll get them out to you.

This week I will be posting a few days of multiple many reviews, starting today.

101 Glam Girl Ways To An Ultra Chic Lifestyle by Dawn Del Russo
A better title for this tiny book would have been The Pocket Guide to Common Sense Glam. It contains 101 one sentence or phrase tips accompanied by a simple illustration. The tips are good tips, but they are also common sense, such as wear deodorant, wear what you love, etc. While I appreciate the presentation and the tips have value, I can’t endorse a book that literally is so small that it takes up less space than a wallet but costs more. For accomplishing its title- 4 out of 5 stars. For value and practicality (i.e. is it worth the price?)- 1 out of five stars.



The Channel: Stories from L.A. Susan Alcott Jardine
Everyone has an opinion about “LA”, whether you live there, have visited or just know it by reputation. Jardine has given us a collection of stories that not only captures the heart of LA, but it captures life. A refreshingly real read. Four out of five stars.











100 Places in Italy Every Woman Should Go by Susan Van Allen
For a guide written for women, it has a universal appeal. The way Allen guides you thorugh the must see attractions of Italy will have you dreaming of embarking on a traveling adventure while listening to your stomach rumble with anticipation for the delectable food she describes. This guide is all about the fantasy trip, she also offers plenty of practical advice. So pick up this book, dust off your passport and let the journey begin. Five out of five stars.





Size Eight in a Size Zero World by Meredith Cagen
Reviewing this book I am torn. The book is technically well written and I can see a lot of potential form this author. However, this particular story did nothing for me (maybe because I was expecting a light hearted, humorous tale). The book is about a NYC woman. Lindsey is a wife and mother who also has a career, which is a rarity in the Upper east Side. She is married to a high-profile attorney, who when he is working long hours tends to be self absorbed, condescending and demands peace and quiet when he is home. Lindsey feels lonely and unappreciated until she meets and falls for a player in her building that pays attention to her. By the time she finally decides to leave her loveless marriage and narcissistic affair you are just glad the story is over. Maybe it’s me, but I just could not feel for any of the characters and therefore did not like the book even though I thought the style in which it was written would have grabbed me if the characters/subject had been different. If you love The Real Housewives type shows, you will probably enjoy this book. For the way it is written- 3.5 out of five stars. For reading enjoyment (personally) two out of five stars.

All of these books were provided by the authors.

6 comments:

  1. That last one doesn't sound like it would appeal to me, either.

    However the Italy travel guide for women sounds inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the winners. The Irish festivities last week were fun.

    Looks like a couple of good books here, especially the "101 Glam Girl." Thanks for sharing the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I'll have to check these out. Thanks for posting the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks lots for your honest thoughts about "101 Glam Girl Ways to an Ultra Chic Lifestyle" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I didn't even see my name at the top of this post! Guess I was too busy diving into your reviews. THANKS! YAY! Awesome! I'll send you my address in an email.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on loving The Channel: Stories from L.A. by Susan Alcott Jardine. It's a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete