Friday, March 5, 2010

Welcome to the Weekend With....Kathleen Albertson

In February,  I reviewed a great book called, Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine for Women’s Health. She was kind enough to let me pick her brain and share with you the woman behind this wonderful resource.


Tell us a little about yourself, your background.


Very ethnic, blue collar, Italian family! I grew up in Buffalo, NY. I am the second of four kids (I think that is the overachiever position)!

What did you want to be when you were a little girl?

I was more of a tomboy than a girly girl and I hated when they tried to put me in fashion shows and all that. I liked animals, reading, and playing games better.

I never saw myself being a homemaker, or even having kids. I had little guidance from my folks…my Mom would say, “You are smart, go work at a bank.”

I am 59 so back then my parents thought being a bank teller was a respectable job, and that tellers had great work hours. Since they had no education, they could not see the need for sending a daughter for more education. They didn’t hold me back, but were not able to help me move forward.

A guidance counselor pulled my aside the last week of senior year, and asked me what my plans were…I had none. He helped me apply at a 2-year college in Business and it seemed like I never stopped going to school after that! On to a BS in Business and an MA in Counseling, an MS in Oriental Medicine, and a PhD in Holistic Nutrition (not trying to blow my horn).

When did you first decide you wanted to pursue medicine?

I really had no goals of what I wanted to do, just what I didn’t want to do. So I feel I was divinely guided into this. I spent many years in corporate America when one day a friend I was having lunch mentioned how tired she was of “corporate life” and that she was going to visit an acupuncture school that evening. I went with her and was mesmerized by holistic care, and how clearing acupuncture pathways improved health with ease. I went home and told (not asked) my hubby that I was going to start acupuncture school. I was about 40! It’s never too late. I encourage you to follow your passions.

I downsized my business job, started TCM school and never looked back. It felt right and my business and marketing background proved to be invaluable in my start up.

What compelled you to write a book about combined Western & Eastern practices?

Much that is written repels these two thoughts, when clinically it is more likely that our patients use both East and West. I felt the gap needed to be bridged-hence the title. The medicine worlds differ one is linear, compartmentalized and driven by double, randomized studies, and drugs that mask symptoms—the other treats the entire body, mind and spirit and resolves root cause. One is 200 years old, the other 5000.

I see so many fertility patients- mostly female who have been so discouraged by Western medicine and have been bantered around the system for so long without good care that I wanted to educate people on how effective and successful TCM is . Originally, the book was going to be on fertility and pregnancy, but it dawned on me that the precursor to many infertility issues was menstrual irregularities, stress, overwork, fatigue, and improper nutrition. No one writes on this, in this context, so my goal was to educate more women of today and to spare younger women the frustrating journey of having symptoms that are chronically masked for decades.

If more women were treated with TCM earlier in their lives, they may not be on the infertility journey. So many women suffer from PMS, migraine headaches, painful periods, or fail to ovulate. These are (generally) easily correctable with TCM. When a 35-year-old woman tells me she has chronic migraines and they started when she was 12—I see the connection to puberty and an imbalances in her “Liver “ and “Blood” systems that can be resolved...while western medicine only offers years of medications to mask the pain. They don’t know how to resolve the root problem…TCM does. Yet too many women never receive relief. Time for education! I am amazed at how many women don’t see that connection between puberty and their headaches until I show them the correlation.

Therefore, the book needed to be more comprehensive, a heavier read. I felt it was important for readers to be somewhat aware of and grasp the TCM concepts…even thought they are complicated.

Why focus of women only?

Women seek more treatment and have more health “plumbing’ issues!

I wanted a specific approach that covered women’s health from puberty to menopause. I see many, many tears every day from discouraged, depressed, and isolated patients who have suffered without western results…and without hope.

Gynecological and reproductive problems are on the rise (how scary) and western medicine offers medications with severe side effects, or surgery. We can do so much better-- improving patient care at a completely new level if we educate through these kinds of books. TCM is legitimate--- 5000 years of clinical success and history. TCM works. It is becoming more and more mainstream. Women are more inclined to understand the process. Men sometimes want a one- time quick fix (I am generalizing). So women first and… I am just starting a book on men’s health. It will be simpler and a much easier read.

What is the biggest mistake you see women make?

-- Taking better care of their cars, kids and pets before themselves.

--Overdoing, overdoing—work and thoughts. Take a breath!

--Asking permission from a spouse to try TCM.

--Feeling as if they have no choice in their health care. Staying with inept or uncaring doctors, not speaking up, or tolerating poor care. I encourage you to make choices that support your health. Don’t feel victimized...take control and take action. Your life and health depend on it. Doctors are human too- they need to know how you feel sometimes….some will do something about it… some wont. Just worry about moving yourself forward. Many patients feel frozen in their treatment protocol or in their level of care so they don’t expect anything better. Even in an HMO system, you have the power to change physicians.

--Not acknowledging or managing the defeating effect that stress and overwork has on our physical and emotional bodies.

--Letting stress, worry, or insomnia go on for too long thinking it will go away on its own.

How much research went into this book?

It started about 6 years ago when I did my dissertation on “The Role of Acupuncture and TCM in Treating Female infertility.” That had a lot more research and was quite dry—not suitable for the layperson.

I wanted to show that yes, research is on the rise, and supports the results of TCM and that is why I included it in the book. In China, the libraries are filled with studies, and empirical data of TCM success… but it is in Chinese! We are fortunate to have a few English speaking TCM practitioners and educators that translate into English.

This has broadened our body of knowledge, clinical efforts, and increased our understanding of TCM theory and treatment.

I love that you begin the book with the role of a patient and how to be a pro-active patient. They say doctors can be the worst patients. What kind of patient are you and do you find resistance when seeing traditional doctors? How do you overcome their skepticism with Eastern and alternative medicines?

This is a good question! I am pro-active, ready, and usually know what I have (or need) when I see a western doc. I underplay or may not mention that I am an acupuncturist. It is in my paperwork, so I get annoyed if they don’t read that fact or that I don’t like taking medications and that I choose herbs and nutrition over drugs. If I needed drugs ... I would take them but it is not my first line of defense. I am not opposed, just extremely careful. I use alternative care and herbs first whether it is herbs, supplements, acupuncture, chiropractic, energy work, and oh yes…rest first!

I hate when I am dissed! I get annoyed when the doctor withholds his thoughts and findings—and shares no information, and starts writing a prescription. I expect a lot!

I walked out of a dentist office after setting up an appointment where I said: “I am sensitive. I may need more time and I will pay for it.” The receptionist said, “No problem.” When the doctor came in and said, “Open up” and started for my mouth I freaked out. He had no intention of finding out if I was sensitive. ..or to what. He started working on me without any conversation so I just got up, and said this wasn’t for me. I feel they should have respect for you, the patient. I seek out doctors that meet my needs and that I think care about helping people. They are out there! Sorry to sound rigid, and picky, but that fits me! Therefore, I try to practice, as I would want to be treated.

I never try to convince a doctor of anything. I never try to upstage their ego or their knowledge but if I can show some evidence of TCM, I do so.

If the subject allows, I like to offer the doctor a free treatment … sometimes they can’t get a way from me fast enough (ha, ha, ha), but those that have taken the offer up, are usually glad they did.

I think they are taught to be skeptic of anything they didn’t learn in med school--- maybe it’s a protective mechanism. ‘If it isn’t done scientifically it can’t work.” I say, “Bull.” I have heard some doctors say ... “well it works for some.” Or, “it can’t hurt,” or “there is no scientific proof.” When they are condescending, negative, or neutral, my feeling is that they are trying to avoid any malpractice rather than encouraging the patients’ wellness (just a speculation on my part).

If they are closed and skeptic…I move on! I can’t change them, and my time is better spent helping someone else.

If the doctor listens and seems to have respect for me, I am happy. I am looking for him/her to help me and to give me a little information that shows me he understands my ailment or problem. I want to be on that team.

Many patients hide the fact that they seek alternative treatment from their western doctor. Too scared to bring it up? Repercussions? Will the doctor change how he /she will feel toward me?

I feel the patient should tell the doctor. This may help other patients down the road. If a pain doctor hears from enough of his patients that they got better with acupuncture, he is stupid to keep his eyes closed to treatments that improve patient outcomes. If a woman’s headaches stop because went for acupuncture and herbs, she should be congratulated. Something helped. If a patient’s allergies improved, or the skin rash cleared up… wow that’s great… who else might benefit? The risk minimal and the reward very high! Generally, we have great success in over 80% of cases.

What is your view of pharmaceutical companies?

Dim- when it comes to the overuse of medications-- profit is first and may not be in the best interest of patient care.

Dim- when I see the severe side effects they have, and dim again, when I see how research studies are slanted to promote a drug. Western drugs do excel for trauma and acute conditions so I believe they have their place. In my opinion, doctors could be trained more in nutrition. They get only a few hours of schooling on it. They could address stress, poor eating habits, and lack of exercise more diligently rather than putting patients on so many drugs. It is not uncommon for patients to take five or six medications daily--- and they are still sick! Western doctors tolerate poor eating habits, overeating, and lack of exercise from their patients.

If they expected more, patients would give it to them. TCM practitioners educate, discuss and request improvements in this area…and we usually get it! The results are healthier patients…less medications needed!

I often use a “tough love” approach. The patient and I want the same thing…improved health, so we discuss all of the aspects of how to get it. We are all guilty of being over busy, but sometimes mentally lazy when it comes to certain issues we can change about ourselves. The largest room in the world?

Do you know what it is? ……………It is the room for improvement.

Don’t get me started on vaccines!

Or cancer!

Herbs are plant based and have no proprietary right… that means no company can claim them as their own and make huge profits. Drug companies have no incentive to use or research herbs for healing for this reason.

Jus think how effective herbs are… if they work, and resolve the problem (in many cases) you don’t need to stay on medications. There are no lobby groups pushing herbs (because there is no monetary gain). The FDA and pharmaceutical companies, who have little interest in knowing more about their value, mostly criticize herbs.

Herbs could ruins profits! Therefore, there is no incentive for companies to go more natural. Our health care system is based on keeping you on drugs and formulating new ones for new profits.

With your busy schedule, what do you do to unwind?

I enjoy taking walks down to the beach with my husband, and my dog, Centavo. I swim, Jacuzzi, and hit the steam room at the gym every morning before work. I love to read and now that I have more time, I can enjoy more of it. I meditate and I confess to taping reality shows!

Being Italian, I do love to eat. I went through a “fat” phase, using stress and overwork as my excuses… just like a lot of people (!).

I subsequently went back to practicing what I preach and lost the additional pounds. It is truly in the mind!

You can influence any one thing in history, the present or the future of the world (what has occurred, how something works, etc.), what would you choose to change and why?

I would add “compassion” and “the will to do good” to our DNA. I am concerned by the mistreatment, cruelty, and abuse of people and animals. It is part of my prayers every night. I would influence how we treat each other as individuals, as families, as co- workers, as communities, and countries.

You may ask any three people from history (living or dead) one question each. Whom do you choose and what is your question for each person?

To God: I understand death, but why do so many people have to suffer, lingering so painfully, before they pass?

To Oprah: When can I be on your show?!

No pressing third question! It was difficult to think of a good one, so I guess I am not ready to ask it!


Kathie- Thank you so much for such a great interview!

Be sure to check out her book and her website.

4 comments:

  1. What an absolute pleasure to "meet" Kathleen in another of your wonderful interviews, CC!

    Being very proactive with and about my own health, and a firm believer in what is referred to as 'alternative' medicine, I enjoyed Chris' review of your book a few weeks ago and shared my own experience with acupuncture (on my sinuses). I found the information about fertility interesting, since the chiropractor I see (who is also trained in acupuncture and other Chinese methods of treatment) has treated several women who were told they would never have children. Of course you know that they are now very proud parents!

    Unfortunately it's all too common to be more of a "number" to physicians rather than a person. I've had numerous doctors get offended by my questions! Hello? This is MY health, MY body, and I want and expect to be talked to and have things explained to me. It's frustrating when you have to "interview" different doctors to find one that respects that you're interested and involved in your own health!

    Not only are too many people closed-minded about 'alternative medicine,' but so many people are not even aware of what's going on with their own bodies. To me this is baffling. I want to know what's going on, why, what my options are and what I can expect from whatever form of treatment, medication, etc. is suggested.

    I can also relate to your "story." It's never too late to further your education, begin a new carer, etc! I too spent many years in the corporate world, and although I was doing work I enjoyed, for the most part I spent years having what I refer to as "just a job." I decided to begin my own editing business and it's the greatest and most rewarding things I've ever done!

    Thank you for this wonderful insight into "the person behind the book!" I have not ordered your book yet, but was wondering if it would be possible to get a signed copy? If it's not too much bother, you can email me at crystalclearproofing(at)charter(dot)net.

    Thank you so much, and again, a great interview! You're doing the world a wonderful service, not only with your practice, but in writing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview. It's always interesting to learn more about an author. I can appreciate her work that much more knowing where she's coming from and her outlook on things.

    BTW, love the cover of the book. It looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating subject, woman, author, and book! I'm very much into wholistic and natural meds and foods, also have had extensive acupuncture treatments for my back in the past - so this book sounds like one I'd derive a great deal of beneficial info from.

    The Old Silly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following your dreams at 40 - good for you!
    And nice to meet a fellow tomboy.

    ReplyDelete