Friday, March 19, 2010

Welcome to the Weekend With.... Yeats, St Patrick and a host of Wee Folk

Today we are going to use a little Celtic magic and step back in time to the early 1900’s in Ireland…


Night has fallen as we walk down the Poolbeg Street in Dublin. Across the Anna Liffey River, the Abbey Theatre is letting out a performance. Soon the patrons may wonder over to these banks for a speck of food and a pint, at Mulligan’s, one of Dublin’s oldest pub. Mulligan’s has been around since 1782 and every true Irishman knows it pours the best pint in all Ireland.
Out on the street, we can hear the sounds voices and merriment. Let’s go in, and see who’s inside. As we walk through the door into the darkened wood-paneled interior, we are jostled about by the crowd. We manage to find a spot to sit at a small table near the bar. At the long table to our left is Lady Gregory, J.M. Synge, William Butler Yeats and Ezra Pound. Flitting about their table top are a dozen or so faerie. Two of which are arm wrestling over and overturned mug, several others are reclining in a bowl of soup as if it were a steam bath. Yeats laughs as a faerie whispers in his ear.

“William, you must share the secret with the rest of us, “Lady Gregory implores. To which he replies, “All in good time, my dear. All in good time.”

At the table behind them is a transparent man in what appears to be monk’s robes deep in conversation with some small couple and what could only be twin leprechauns dressed in mossy green outfits, both have short reddish beards and curly hair, round rosy cheeks and sparkling emerald green eyes that dance with mischief. One wears a green cap and the other a green top hat.

A small group walks through the door and captures everyone’s attention.

“ Maude, my eternal love, come sit by me and tell us of the show.” Yeats called out, standing to grab her a chair.

“ The audience was boisterous and Maude was magnificent and had a line of men waiting backstage as always.” Annie Horniman quipped as she led their party to the table.

Maude spoke to the ghost of St Patrick as she passed his table. “Why, Paddy, you are looking more solid than usual. Consorting with your druid roots suits you. Watch out for Finn and Cillian, the twins always have something up their sleeve to stir up trouble.” The two leprechauns clangs their beer tankards together. Cillian winked at Annie & Maude, and Finn pronounced, “don’t you know, under me cap is where I keep me mischief, lass.”

The patrons continued to drink, caint and make merry into the wee hours of the mornin’. We sat among them enjoying the ale and atmosphere….

7 comments:

  1. I feel as if I'm there!

    Glad you've enjoyed a whole week of St. Patrick's Day celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the trip. With the story and the beautiful photos, I felt I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the trip. I did a little research and wanted a pub near the Abbey Theatre and it turned out that Mulligan's is one of the oldest and most well known in Dublin and is still open today. You gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't begin to tell you the many memories your writing conjured up for me. I have visited Ireland several times and feel as if I was there again toady. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderfully detailed post! I really enjoyed reading this one.

    CC, thanks so much for the Quest award you gave me! It really means a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally cool. I was "there" - and that's good writing when you can do that.

    ReplyDelete