Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Around Town... The Black Cat Shoppe


There are a lot of things I love. One of those things is black cats, more specifically my adorable and very fuzzy, Merlyn (although he is not my first and won’t be my last black cat). There is just something special about black cats. They are mysterious and really should be there own breed, because they are that unique and special. So with my love of black cats now known, it should be no surprise how delighted I was to discover a unique little shop half a block from my office called The Black Cat Shoppe.
The Black Cat Shoppe has recently become one of my favorite places and blow part of my paycheck. While it is a novelty store, it’s not your typical variety. Owned and operated by a super friendly couple. Kim and John are so warm and welcoming that I have spent several lunch hours hanging out and talking with them. There store is like walking into a pirates treasure cove. So many things to see and covet; and of course there are black acts galore. I feel like Willy must have felt when he walked into the chocolate factory for the first time. When I enter the store there is always something I find that I missed the last time I was there. No matter what type of day I’m having, I know I can go here and something will bring a smile to my face. Magic is definitely in the air.
Whether you are looking for the perfect unique Wilmington Souvenir, t-shirt or post card, something from our local film industry, a great gag gift, something mystical, candles, signs, jewelry or black cats, you will be enchanted by the store and its owners. A must stop for anyone visiting our port city.

They also run three fabulous walking tours that are sure to entertain and delight locals as well as tourist. They are The Ghost Walk of Old Wilmington (hear eerie tales of the past told by local actors and ghost hunters), Haunted Pub Crawl (tour Wilmington’s most actively haunted pubs and toast the spirits of yesterday while hearing their spooky and swashbuckling tales), and the Hollywood Location Walk (join an entertaining & self-important director as he takes you on a tour of “Hollywood East” and points out where some of your favorite movies and TV shows have been filmed).



For those of you from out of town, be sure to visit their website and if you see something in one of these pictures you are dying to loot but can’t find on the website, email them for pricing.


Websites:

Store Location: 11 Market St., Wilmington, NC 28401
Store: 910-251-6663
 Tours: 910-794-1866

More of the store....
Wacky gum & mints...


Incense Bottles and burners...


So many delightful goodies... so little time...


You know I had to include this one, I love dragons and I worked on The Crow...


Magic oils & candle... and where else can you find an autographed picture from one of the original Charlie's Angels (She filmed Winds of War here)...


Black cats and voodoo.. You have to love it....


Do you have sensory overload yet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a special bonus to anyone who comments on today’s post (except spammers), Kim, John and myself have a gift for you. Any one who leaves a comment will get one of their black cat stickers and a cool magnetic bookmark. Just email me your mailing address or leave your email at the end of the comment.

6 comments:

  1. What a neat store. I wish we had one in our town. I can see how you could spent hours (and paychecks) in there. I get so carried away in stores that have candles, incense, etc. The three walks sound interesting too. I'd love to have a sticker from the store, thanks.
    mcbookshelf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post about my favorite shoppe! And I've never been there! LOL!

    Oh man, does it look FUN! I just LOVE places like that; so full of stuff you can't possibly see it all in one visit. Or you could if you stayed a l-o-n-g while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the bookmarks ARE cool! I have two. (So I don't need to be entered.)

    We gotta go there, too, CC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a cool store! I grew up in northern Michigan, Traverse City, and up there they have some really quaint and interesting stores. Here in SE MI I haven't found a haven like this yet. I envy you.

    Marvin D Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cool little store. I'd love to visit, but I'll have to do it through you I guess ;-( Then again, I might get lucky. Who knows, I might come knocking on your door some day. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I too love black cats. My mom used to have a ceramic black cat that stood about 3 feet tall. Years ago, when I was little, she had a smaller one (and a real black cat then too). For Halloween, she would set the ceramic cat out by the jack-o'lantern and invariably, our real cat would join the display. Unfortunately, this was way out in the country so we never got many trick-or-treaters but invariably, some kid would end up screaming when one of the cats actually moved. Ebony was a very friendly cat and all he wanted was a little loving but on that night he'd get screams. Mom thought it was totally hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black Cat Shoppe is now on Facebook. Go become a fan at

    http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/pages/Wilmington-NC/The-Black-Cat-Shoppe/376507419781?ref=search&sid=100000007164549.3220061197..1

    ReplyDelete