Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Book Review - Through the Triangle by C. P. Stewart



C.P. Stewart takes readers on a day trip that will turn into a life changing experience. We’ve all heard of the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle. In Through The Triangle, Stewart gives us his interpretation of what happens to those who have disappeared over the years.


When Stewart brings together a group of five men, who board a charter for a day of deep sea fishing, the Gilligan’s Island tune pops into my head. Understand, I grew up watching shows like Gilligan’s Island and also the original Star Trek, Land of the Lost, Wild Wild West, etc. On top of being a huge sci-fi fan, I also love a good mystery. Stewart’s book brings all the best elements of old sci0fi and suspense classics together. Now despite the silly TV show tune that entered my mind, there is nothing silly about this book. Through the Triangle is a nail-biting, edge of your seat thrill ride. Even before the mysterious storm overtakes the Oblique View fishing boat, Stewart begins building the suspense with an escaped murderer on the loose, who rounds out the five men on board. Also on board are the Captain - Mason, his 15 year old first mate - Juan, and an estranged father and teenage son. When a sudden storm and thick fog descends on their boat and seeing that they can’t out run it while keeping pace with another disabled charter boat, the men decide to wait it out. As the fog lifts, the other charter has vanished and communications are not working, so they head back to land….. a land that they no longer recognize. They will soon learn they are nearly three-hundred years in the future. Although the Florida coast seems deserted, they will soon discover they are not alone and the world that they knew has become a place were one must fight to survive.

Like all great sci-fi writers, Stewart gives you just enough about the characters to engage you without going overboard with details that would stagnate the action. He works his satellite characters into the story in a way that enhances the action without becoming a distraction. In addition, Stewart's writing allows the reader to visualize the world of the future as if we were walking along side the charcaters. Being an avid reader there are many books and authors that grab me. Being an artist and former film maker, I rarely have trouble visualizing the stories I read. I have to say, this is the first book I have read in a long time that I can see being a hit movie. It makes me wish I were a producer so that I could make it. It’s that good! I can't wait to read his next book. Definitely five out of five wormholes.

This book was provided by the author. Check back in January for an interview with this wonderful author.

This review will be part of Cym Lowell's Wednesday Review Blog Party on Dec. 9th.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! This book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW sounds AWESOME! Love this kind of edge-of-your-seat stuff, especially dealing with unknowns like the Bermuda Triangle! Many an excellent story has come from people's views and ideas as to some of the mysteries out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie of Debbie's World of Books just reviewed this as well and it was halfway through her review that I realized it was fiction!
    Yeah, I was a geek-kid - I read all the non-fiction books on this type of subject. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super-duper-wuper-uber-gooder review.

    It's hard to find an audience these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Carter, you sold me on this book. Love your comparison with Gilligan's Island and the other fun adventures... I'll definitely check this one.

    Great review. Your book site is awesome too.

    Hugs - Betty Dravis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments. It's a great book and hopefully will end up being a movie. I'm sending it to some producer friends, so we'll see.

    And you know one of the things that also make it so nice, is the author is a really nice guy. I can't wait to ost his interview.

    ReplyDelete