Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Book Review - Septimus Heap: Book 5 Syren by Angie Sage


Syren is the fifth book in the Septimus Heap series written by English author Angie Sage. Having not read the first four books in the series, I not sure whether, I would have had a better understanding of the characters. While this book can be read as a stand alone, one gets the impression of joining a group of friends who all grew up together. In this book Septimus has returned from his Queste. His friends are waiting at a trading post for Septimus to return and take them home, but along the way Septimus becomes stranded on a mysterious island. Before he starts this particular journey Septimus is promoted to senior apprentice and this promotion enables him to take off on his trusted dragon friend Spit Fyre to retrieve his friends from the trading post. The story has several arcs. The story of Aunt Zelda, Wolf Boy, Lucy and the Port Witch; Jenna and Beetle with Milo and his fellow henchmen; Septimus and Spit Fyre on the mysterious island with Syrah. This book is full of adventure, magyck and rich details to enchant the preteen audience it is aimed at. As for me, an adult, I found the book a little slow to engage at the beginning and that it jumped around a bit too much for my taste, however, I can see how the young audience it is aimed at will fall in love with the characters and their adventure. The highlight for me was the magnificent illustrations done by artist Mark Zug. His work is truly inspired and gives life to the characters. I give this three out of five magyckal charms because while it was not the most enjoyable for me to read, I believe it’s target audience will enjoy it.









This is Spit Fyre by Mark Zug. Just one of his wonderful illustrations. make sure you check out his website for more of his fabulous work. http://markzug.com/








This book was provided by the author and will be given to a lucky commenter.

4 comments:

  1. Oooooooooo! Dragons! Great illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not really sound like my cup of tea but that is an amazing illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny you should review this. We have it sitting on a table at home waiting for me to read it with my son. I enjoy these (have read the first 4, but my son is thinking he is now too old)-- they aren't on the caliber of... say, Harry Potter, but the world created is rich and interesting and the quirkiness of some of the characters REALLY appeals to me.

    (I should read it even if he won't sit down with me...)

    ReplyDelete