Sunday, June 21, 2009

Goodbye of my K-5 Tank


This was my 1988 tank right after I got back from driving it to Calgary. (7,000+ miles). I have driven it all over the place and it has moved me several places. It has taken kids to softball practice, the beach, and church. It has driven over medians, through ice and snow and flooded roads. It has been a redneck magnet with it's boat hitch, gun racks and other big metal parts, only my dad knows what they were for. It has kept me safe in the crazy Wilmington traffic and after my divorce it gave me a since of stability. My 4000 lbs of steel security blanket. I will no longer not worry about the crazy drivers, rude tailgaters, and other idiots who don't know what a turn signal is. I will be more conscious of the bad drivers around me since I will no longer be in my beautiful indestructible K-5.

Anyone who has ever owed a K-5 knows the pride it inspires. So, over the past few years, I have put up with an air conditioner that doesn't work, windows that didn't roll down, a radio that played when it wanted to, and being in the poor house when gas prices soared. Even when more things were going wrong with my blazer than I could afford to fix, I held on. It was my "tank", my baby. I was known for my tank and I drove it pride knowing I could take on anything with it. I commanded respect from other truck lovers. Alas, it finally sputtered out on Wednesday, and the estimates to once again make it new were going to cost too much, so I finally let it go and bought a little car. I now have a car that could probably fit inside the blazer and getting used to sit so low to the ground is going to take some time to get used to. Of course, it will be nice to get more than 8 miles to the gallon as gas prices go up once again and fit into any parking space no matter how small.

I will always have the best memories of my tank and I'm happy knowing the guy buying it will fix it up and love it as much as my dad and I did.

3 comments:

  1. It kept you safe for a good many years! I was sad to see my big Dodge pickup go, as it was a tank as well, but I've really fallen in love with my little Mazda Tribute.

    BTW - if you want to just list my link as "Spunk on a Stick's Tips" in your sidebar, that's good. "Now for Something Completely Different" is just my Friday post...

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed it. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss. It's hard to explain the hollow losing your favorite ride leaves but I feel your pain. Tank will be remember fondly. :)

    ReplyDelete