Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Book Review- The Real Deal by Fern Michaels

Have you ever wondered what you would do if you no longer knew who you were or who someone you loved was? Or if a person you loved or admired was no longer who you thought they were? Those are the very questions the characters in The Real Deal have to find the answers to.

Maybe because, I don't like politics, I love to read political thrillers. I like to tell myself it's because I enjoy absorbing the knowledge and living vicariously through the characters and not my disdain for "the system". Living in the world we currently do, it is hard not to become jaded on all the controversy and maliciousness we see and read on the internet and news.

When I was younger, I fell in love with Fern Michael's epic "Sins" series that span decade. As I've gotten older and my time is more limited the last thing I want to do is read a pure "bodice ripper". The great thing about Michaels, is that she was never the bodice ripper type author. Her stories have always been so full of the world around us and the world of the past that you couldn't help but be sucked in. I love that the women she writes about are strong and bigger than life but yet resemble someone we might know. Her "sisterhood" series is one of my favorites. Who wouldn't want to get away with the things her righteous vigilanties get to do.

The Real Deal is not part of the Sisterhood series, and I have to admit I picked it up because at first, I thought it was. The Real Deal is a stand alone book about Quinn Star, a former F.B. I. Agent faced with difficult decisions. I love the fact that she gives a government official such a non-government name. When I first read the back cover I kept thinking that as I read the book, we would secretly find out the main character was an actress or some sort of entertainer (ok, I admit stripper came to mind). Quinn is definitely none of those things. She is strong, intelligent, independent and tough as nails. She is also very human and Michaels makes her real and believable by showing us the softer side she has for her aunt, friends, animals and that like those of us in the real world she has her doubts and second guesses herself. The Real Deal takes you on a wild ride through the intrigues of Washington politics and the inner workings of White House. At times, some of the elements definitely border on "creative license" but are never too far fetched to detract from the story. A very satisfying read that will leave you asking just how far will certain people in government go to further their careers and protect themselves. In light of the recent election, it also makes me wonder, what is really going on inside the White house right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment