Wednesday, July 1, 2009

DVD- Ink Heart

Every writer wants to see their characters come alive, just as every reader wants to be swept away in the story. I bought the book, Ink Heart several years ago, honestly because it had a really cool cover and the story sounded intriguing. As with many of the books I buy this way, it is still sitting in my pile of to be read. Luckily that pile is down to about 80-90 books now, instead of covering every free inch of space. Now if only I could cure my addiction for buying more books. But I digress.

Like most most people, if I read a book first, I generally don't like the way the film industry butchers it. Where as if I see the movie first and then read the book, I'm not as critical. (One will have to look for a future post, once I get to the book for my thoughts on how they compare.) Ink Heart, the movie, is a feel good "fluffy" movie. Yes, I'm sure there are some pearls of wisdom the directors and writers are trying to impart but it's really just an entertaining little fantasy and a great family film. As a film maker, it's nice to see a story brought to life where all the elements are masterfully handled. The acting is great. The sets, props, costumes and cinematography came together beautifully. This film is reminiscent of The Princess Bride, Neverending Story, Dragonheart, to name a few.

Here's a synopsis of the story..... Unbeknownst to his daughter, Mo (Brendan Fraser) has a secret he has been running from for the past ten years. He's a "silvertongue". If he reads the words of a book out loud, he brings part of the stories to life. Unfortunately there are a few small drawbacks. One, someone else gets sent into the book. The other drawback is he is never quite sure what he will bring out, so he hides his gift until he can no longer run from the villains he brought to life in the past. Mo must find away to keep his family safe while sending the magical characters from the medieval story of Ink Heart back to the pages they sprang from. Marvel as some of the amazing characters from your classic stories are brought to life and see if he succeeds in his battle to save the world from the more nefarious rogues.

Check out he official website - http://www.inkheartmovie.com/

and the trailer - http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK//video/screenplay/vi3394240537/

No comments:

Post a Comment